Here’s the Wild Idea
Amy’s Wild Idea: To impact the world though yoga and activism.
Amy has the dream job of a traveling around the world as a yoga teacher, which she started doing in the 1980s. She has a different take on yoga than many. It’s not just about working out and breathing. The practice of yoga also has ties to activism, which is why Amy does things like take her yoga to the oceans to raise awareness for the environment and animal conservation.
Amy is a faculty member at the Omega Institute, Esalen, and Kripalu, and a regular presenter at Yoga Journal Conferences, Asia Yoga Conference, Wanderlust Festivals, and more. She’s also a prAna ambassador, which is how I was lucky to meet her.
Listen to this Episode if:
- You practice yoga or want to get more involved in yoga.
- You want to live a healthy lifestyle physically and mentally.
- You’re an activist.
- You want to help save our planet.
- 4:15 – What kind of food you eat at an Ayurvedic retreat.
- 6:30 – The type of yoga workshop that Amy was teaching in Southeast Asia.
- 7:45 – Tantric yoga doesn’t always have to do with sex.
- 11:10 – How Amy got into yoga at a very young age.
- 13:15 – Amy looks so much younger than she is! Get her secrets.
- 15:35 – How to make a living by following your passion.
- 19:00 – The challenges of being a yoga teacher.
- 19:45 – Why yoga should not be free.
- 23:00 – The danger of over-promising.
- 27:00 – Why Amy doesn’t separate politics and yoga
- 31:00 – Activism + yoga = Amy’s passion.
- 33:00 – How Amy trained to do yoga with sea creatures.
- 34:30 – Yoga teaches perseverance physically and mentally.
- 38:00 – How Amy uses meditation and visualization.
- 40:10 – You become the company you keep.
- 41:00 – There are no shortcuts.
- 42:30 – It’s time to find alternative sources of energy.