Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or with RSS, and be sure to leave us a review!
Here’s the Wild Idea
Andy’s Wild Idea: To pave his own path and make a career spreading aloha vibes through art.
Andy Davis is quite possibly my favorite artist ever, and for good reason. He has been called one of the best surf artists of our generation. Using bright colors, and organic, curvy shapes, his work gives you the feeling of being near the water, and exudes a pure, simple joy and aloha spirit. His work has appeared in films by Thomas Campbell, brands like Billabong, Roxy, and his own brand Free, on huge murals, in big stores, and now on the panels of Igloo coolers.
We talk about how he forged his own way, passing on traditional education for real work experience, surrounding himself with friends, and continuing to create what he wanted along the way. He has a great sense of humor and a bold outlook on life. Andy’s perspective on following your creative and wild ideas is a breath of fresh air, and one that will most likely inspire you to keep going after what you want.
Listen to this Episode if
- You are an artist or a creative person.
- You love the aloha vibe.
- You watched cartoons as a kid.
- You are into surf culture.
- 2:10 – Why Andy once dressed up like J.Lo.
- 3:15 – What medium(s) Andy uses.
- 5:45 – What Andy needs to be able to paint.
- 7:00 – The benefits of having your own studio.
- 8:15 – How his friend convinced him to paint a mural in Mexico.
- 10:15 – Why Andy likes ambiguity in his art.
- 11:45 – Who Andy’s favorite surfer is.
- 12:35 – What cartoons Andy was inspired by.
- 14:55 – When Andy started surfing.
- 16:00 – How he became a successful artist in the surf world.
- 18:00 – Why friends have been important.
- 19:30 – Why school wasn’t right for Andy.
- 21:15 – When he started his brand, Free.
- 23:35 – The hardest business lesson he learned.
- 26:45 – How to pursue your art as a career.
- 29:50 – How to expand your portfolio and art (and how he got his art on Igloo coolers).
- 32:40 – How you figure out how to say yes to the right people.
- 34:10 – Why you have to want to put your work out in the world.
- 37:45 – What Andy likes to do with his son and wife.
- 42:00 – Why you should always be making stuff.
- 43:00 – Why everyone needs some aloha.