Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or with RSS, and be sure to leave us a review!
Here’s the Wild Idea
Catra’s Wild Idea: To spend maximum time outdoors trail running while breaking ultramarathon records and helping people and dogs along the way.
After battling drug addiction, Catra Corbett hit her bottom, finding herself in jail. Soon after she got sober, Catra discovered her love of fitness. She also started running, and running more.
To date, Catra, aka “the Dirt Diva” has run over 260 marathons, over 137 100-mile runs, and set numerous records including becoming the first to run the 424-mile round trip of the John Muir trail in just over 12 days.
While she is known in the ultra-running community for her brightly-colored hair, loud running outfits and, numerous piercings and tattoos, most know her now for her tenacious spirit and giant heart.
A lover of animals, the vegan runner has adopted numerous dogs including a dachshund named Truman who she’s trained to run and who now has a following larger than most Instagram stars himself.
Catra recently penned a book, Reborn On The Run, where she shares her story in its most raw form. We talk about her book, being an unlikely runner, her love of dogs, and why and how she decided to share her most intimate truths.
Listen to this Episode if
- You love running.
- You want to try an ultramarathon race.
- You or someone you know has struggled with addiction.
- You love dogs (especially ones that run).
- 2:00 – Catra loves being outside.
- 2:55 – How Catra got caught up in substance abuse and ended up in jail.
- 10:05 – The challenge of tackling addiction.
- 11:20 – How many 100-mile races Catra has done.
- 12:05 – Catra’s appearance isn’t want you might expect from a 53 year old runner.
- 12:45 – Why Catra’s style is so unique.
- 15:00 – The story of her dog Truman.
- 22:30 – What Catra’s times for these long races are.
- 23:35 – How she stays healthy and injury free.
- 27:20 – What kind of diet Catra sticks to and what she eats during a race.
- 30:55 – How she copes with her history with an eating disorder.
- 34:20 – Why it’s important for a female endurance athlete to put out a book.
- 37:30 – Catra’s advice for anyone who wants to start running.
- 41:15 – You just have to love yourself.
- 42:45 – How Catra conquers her self-doubt.
Reborn On The Run by Catra Corbett
Women Who Fly: Catra Corbett presented by Hoka One One
Bearded Brothers bars