Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or with RSS, and be sure to leave us a review!
Here’s the Wild Idea
David’s Wild Idea: To optimize your health, athletic and mental performance, as well as your sex appeal with a plant-based diet and intermittent fasting.
David has some unique ideas when it comes to nutrition, fasting, and health. He’s all about using fasting as well as an exclusively plant-based, whole foods diet to promote optimal health and performance.
David studied physiology and nutrition at Columbia University and is a registered dietician. He worked as a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist for Columbia University Athletics and helped build a thriving nutrition program at Facebook Headquarters. Most recently David is at True North Health in Santa Rosa, CA which is a supervised water fasting center, where he manages the fitness program. In addition to all of this, he also works with professional athletes on plant-based nutrition and using intermittent fasting to improve their performance.
David eats every other day, does some wild experiments when it comes to his health and nutrition, and is always pushing the envelope and testing new ways of using the fuel we put in our bodies.
Listen to this Episode if:
- You want to try intermittent fasting
- You are interested in water fasting
- You’re ready to move to a plant-based diet
- You’re interested in improving your mental and athletic performance
- 4:00 – How David applies nutrition and food to training.
- 6:15 – What it’s like helping thousands of employees at Facebook.
- 8:00 – Using a plant-based diet to up your sex appeal.
- 9:50 – When David became vegan.
- 15:10 – What David eats (when he eats).
- 18:00 – What happens to your body when you fast.
- 21:15 – What you should eat after you fast.
- 22:50 – The mistakes that vegetarian and vegans make.
- 24:45 – Why David doesn’t do oil.
- 30:45 – Battling burger cravings.
- 32:30 – How your flavor thresholds change when you fast.
- 34:40 – Do a form of exercise you enjoy.
- 38:10 – Delayed gratification is an important skill.
- 39:30 – Why David water fasts when he’s on vacation. (Note: He doesn’t recommend that you do the same.)
- 43:10 – David loves to make vegan sushi.
Read The Articles Mentioned by David
How a Terrible, Insufferable Six Day Water Fast Made me a New Man by Ben Marcus
Fueling the Vegan Athlete by Dr. Fuhrman
Water-only fasting and an exclusively plant foods diet in the management of stage IIIa, low-grade follicular lymphoma by Alan C Goldhamer, Michael Klaper, Afsoon Foorohar, Toshia R Myers