Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or with RSS, and be sure to leave us a review!
Here’s the Wild Idea
Dean’s Wild Idea: To quit his corporate job and become the UltraMarathon Man. This man has found massive freedom, with just running shoes.
Time Magazine called Dean Karnazes one of the most interesting men. He’s also one of the fittest men on the planet. On his 30th birthday (after tequila), Dean ran 30 miles non-stop for the first time. Shortly after that big run, he quit a very lucrative, cushy job to become a long-distance, as in ULTRA-distance, runner. Since then, he’s run a marathon in every state, and he plans to run a marathon every country in the WORLD next year. WHO. DOES.THAT? Listen in for more.
The Deep Dive
- 01:35 – How Dean became a millionaire before age 30, then left a cushy job.
- 02:15 – Why his job wasn’t adding fulfillment to Dean’s life.
- 03:30 – What else besides tequila helped influence Dean to run 30 miles on the night of his 30th birthday
- 05:20 – What other people thought when Dean said he was going to become a runner fulltime and leave his job.
- 07:00 – Dean’s advice on overcoming fear.
- 11:35 – How Dean keeps going even when his body wants him to quit?
- 12:15 – Mentors Dean had that helped shape who is is, including Coach John Wooden.
- 12:40 – John Wooden’s advice to Dean when he was a teen basketball player. “Focus on what you can do.”
- 15:55 – Dean’s tools and tactics to running multiple marathons a week, thoughts on routines, nutrition and coffee.
- 21:00 – The craziest thing that’s happen during a run.
- 23:25 – How Dean plans to run in 203 countries, including ones that are more dangerous than others, next year.
- 25:55 – Dean’s thoughts on being an introvert.
- 27:20 – Nutrition advice Dean gave to former President Bill Clinton.
- 29:15 – Items Dean always travels with.
- 30:00 – The message Dean would send to the world.
- 30:55 – The best gift Dean has ever received.
- 31:25 – What’s next for Dean.
- 31:55 – Dean’s advice on how you can live more wildly.
ElliptiGO, how Dean cross-trains
Dean’s Favorite Running Shoes – The North Face Ultra Endurance Running Shoes
Fitbit, one of Dean’s Sponsors
Dean’s New Book The Road to Sparta
Dean’s First Book, Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of An All-Night Runner
Or on Kindle
RUN! 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss
50/50 Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons on 50 Days and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance
Into Thin Air
The Worst Journey in the World