Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or with RSS, and be sure to leave us a review!
Here’s the Wild Idea
Today’s guests are two founders of athletic apparel companies whose goal is to make clothes that function well, feel good, and look good, so you can focus on your adventures. Sally Bergesen, the founder of Oiselle, fell in love with running in college but couldn’t find the kind of running clothes she wanted to wear, so she created her own company. As she learned more about women and their relationship with clothing, she started diving deeper into the history of women’s athletic apparel. Sensi Graves is a kiteboarder, who, after struggling with swimsuits that didn’t always stay in place when she rode, created a swimsuit company with suits that could keep up with athletes on the water, stay in place, look good, and be produced in a sustainable way.
In addition to making awesome gear to empower women to get outdoors, these two women are also building communities around their respective sports. By supporting female athletes in multiple ways – through their apparel and their communities, they’re encouraging us all to form friendships, support each other, and get outside.
Listen to this Episode if
- You’ve ever struggled to buy gear or clothes for your adventures.
- You want to feel empowered to pursue adventure.
- You are interested in women’s activewear and apparel.
- You love having a supportive community behind you.
- You want to hear from two badass female founders.
- 3:30 – Sally’s research into the relationship between women and clothing.
- 7:10 – How Sally discovered running and fell in love.
- 9:10 – What led Sally to found her apparel company, Oiselle.
- 15:05 – How Sensi became a kiteboarding coach and then started a swimwear company.
- 18:30 – How Sally and Sensi are both fostering community in their respective sports.
- 23:20 – How clothing designers think about body image.
- 28:45 – What to know before launching your own business.
- 33:15 – Sally’s advice for anyone who wants to start running.