Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or with RSS, and be sure to leave us a review!
Here’s the Wild Idea
Rhonda’s Wild Idea: To combine her love of research and science into a podcast and site where she helps educate people about health and wellbeing practices.
Leading a healthy lifestyle is a key component to living wildly. That’s why I’m so excited to have on Dr. Rhonda Patrick. You may have heard her on The Joe Rogan Experience, The Tim Ferriss Show, or on her own podcast, FoundMyFitness. She’s done research on and has interviewed some of the top scientists in their field about things like breath work, sauna, training, fasting, and more.
Rhonda and I actually know each other from teaching surfing together at the Surf Diva Surf School in our early twenties. We reconnected a year ago when I was researching a story about Wim Hof for Outside Magazine, who she’s spent some time with. I love how she takes complex scientific studies and puts them into plain English so more people (like myself) can understand them.
On this show, we talk about everything from health hacks to increase performance on the road or trail, how she got the wild idea to create her own site full of health and science information instead of going the traditional tenure track and working at a university, and how she got the attention of influencers in the field.
Listen to this Episode if
- You love trying new health hacks.
- You’ve thought about using a sauna.
- You’re intrigued by time-restricted eating and/or fasting.
- You’re curious about the benefits of different types of exercise and which is best.
- You want to pave your own career path in health or science.
- 4:00 – The health and performance benefits of using the sauna.
- 7:40 – How often Rhonda uses the sauna.
- 11:45 – Circadian rhythms.
- 15:00 – Time restricted eating.
- 21:10 – The difference between fasting and time restricted eating.
- 25:25 – Aerobic endurance training vs. strength training vs. high intensity interval training.
- 30:05 – Where surfing falls in the exercise spectrum.
- 31:40 – What being in nature does for your brain.
- 33:15 – What cell apoptosis is, and why Rhonda get so excited about it.
- 34:30 – How she created her platform to share science and health information with everyday people.
- 40:15 – The funny questions Rhonda gets asked about health.
- 41:25 – How to know what health advice you should and shouldn’t take.
- 43:40 – What food you should never eat. (I’m guilty of eating it).
- 44:40 – How her morning routine has changed since having a kid.
- 45:30 – What other podcasts Rhonda listens to.
- 49:20 – How Rhonda Patrick grew her following.
Connect with Rhonda
Wild Ideas Worth Living Episodes about Health and Fasting
The Nature Fix
Rhonda’s video about broccoli sprouts
Tim Ferriss Show
Joe Rogan Experience
Rhonda’s recent episode with Joe Rogan
Dr. Valter Longo on Kevin Rose’s podcast