Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or with RSS, and be sure to leave us a review!
Here’s the Wild Idea
Smartphones have been around for a little over a decade, but in that short time, many of us have become addicted to our digital devices. Have you ever been out in the wilderness, staring at a gorgeous vista or surrounded by falling snow and found yourself struggling against the urge to pull out your phone in order to capture the moment? Are you planning to go back and look at that photo later? Or are you snapping a picture so you can post it to Instagram for a reward that will come from “likes” blowing up your phone?
Danny Kim is a researcher and speaker who is studying the impact of technology and social media on our mental and physical health, our social interactions, and more. In his workshops, he talks about the science behind the rush that comes when you get a “like,” why we might need to spend less time on our devices, and how to actually unplug.
During our conversation, Danny shares tips and tools to help you and your loved ones reduce your screen-time. Instead of staring at that little world that fits into our pockets, we can spend more time this year looking up and out at the amazing world around us.
Listen to this Episode if
- You spend too much time on your phone.
- You wish people around you were less focused on their screens.
- You are ready to unplug and focus on what’s in front of you.
- 1:20 – Danny wants to help people unplug.
- 5:05 – Are you addicted to your smartphone?
- 11:20 – Games can be as addictive as social media.
- 16:30 – What Danny does to reduce screen time and unplug.
- 22:05 – Try this experiment to get your friends off their phones.
- 28:15 – Apple and Android have new built-in Screen Time tools.
- 31:00 – How to limit your kid’s technology time.
- 34:00 – We have to be okay being bored.
- 37:15 – Getting outdoors is a great way to get off your phone.