Here’s the Wild Idea
Jaimal Yogis’ Wild Idea: To run away from home as a teen and learn to surf in Hawaii. Then, join a Buddhist Monastery. Next, head to head to Columbia Journalism School and become an award-winning journalist, and then the award-winning author of Saltwater Buddah, the best seller The Fear Project (where Jaimal surfed Maverick’s), Turtles Don’t Surf (an illustrated kids books), and soon to be released book, All Waves Are Water, due out by Harper Wave this July of 2017.
As a teen, Jaimal ran away from home to Hawaii where he found surfing. He also learned to meditate. This path lead him to life as a journalist and writer. The author of the science-based book, The Fear Project and memoi,r Saltwater Buddah, Jaimal has a brand new book, All Waves are Water that talks about surfing, God, mindfulness and love. It’s an important read for the era and Jaimal gives us a sneak peek into the story.
Listen To This Episode If:
- You need a dose of mindfulness, or are curious about the practice.
- Love the ocean and/or surfing.
- Are curious about being a writer.
- Want to know how to scientifically conquer fear to do things like surf giant waves or commit to something big.
- Have ever read one of Jaimal’s books.
- 04:00 – We’re always dancing between security and freedom. Do I go the safe route?
- 05:25 – Jaimal kept getting caught up in society’s vision of him.
- 07:30 – There will always be a bit of trial and error when going down a new road.
- 11:55 – Jaimal discusses his tactics towards conquering the fear of big waves, and shares his experience at Maverick’s.
- 15:45 – Jaimal worked on The Fear Project before having kids. He talks about how studying fear has helped him raise his children.
- 18:45 – Why marriage seemed impossible for Jaimal.
- 21:25 – The origin of his last name, Yogis. Not what you’d expect.
- 22:25 – Jaimal’s upcoming book, All Waves are Water, due out July 4th, 2017.
- 28:30 – Jaimal is currently teaching meditation to his students. His thoughts about it.
- 31:15 – Jaimal’s experience surfing in places like India and Jerusalem.
- 32:25 – What Jaimal’s writing process is like and why he always tries to get his writing done before Facebook or Email.
- 35:10 – How you can commit to your dreams by remembering that you’ll one die day.
- 39:55 – Why you need to have a little bit of failure, before you get to where you’re going.
- 42:40 – The challenge and joy of raising children and being an adult.
- 45:00 – Jaimal’s experience writing children’s books.
The Fear Project
Turtles Don’t Surf
Jaimal’s Twitter Profile
Gracedbygrit.com — enter code WildIdeas for 40% off first-time purchase.
Surfdiva.com — WildIdeas for a $10 giftcard with purchase of a lesson.