Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or with RSS, and be sure to leave us a review!
Here’s the Wild Idea
Kimmy’s Wild Idea: To create a job for herself as a professional backcountry snowboarder, be a mentor for other riders and remain active through pregnancy.
Kimmy Fasani is a well-respected athlete, most known for her aggressive free-style backcountry snowboarding. She has won countless awards like Women’s Rider of the Year, Standout Performance of the Year, and has had some incredible video parts with Standard and Absinthe Films. Kimmy loves mentoring other snowboarders, especially other females and is a vocal ambassador for several nonprofits.
On the personal side of her life, Kimmy is married to skier Chris Benchetler and they are part-owners of Dessert’d Organic Bakeshop (and yes, she gets to taste test everything). I recorded this interview after a day on Mammoth Mountain, and at the time Kimmy was about five weeks from having a baby. She opened up about being a pregnant athlete, why people care more about what she does with her body now, and her spiritual journey to getting pregnant. She also shares about how she created her dream job, what it takes to be a pro snowboarder, and how she tackled injuries, self-doubt, fear and overcame some of the hardest times in her life.
Listen to this Episode if
- You want to be a backcountry snowboarder or professional athlete.
- You want to create your dream job.
- You want to conquer self-doubt and fear of failure.
- You have a spiritual side.
- You want to cultivate a positive mindset, even in the face of adversity.
- You are an active Mom or Mom-to-be.
- 2:40 – What it’s like being a pregnant athlete.
- 3:25 – Why she’s remained active throughout her pregnancy and the reactions she’s received.
- 6:55 – How being pregnant has introduced her to new fans.
- 9:40 – How she created a platform for herself as a backcountry snowboarder.
- 11:40 – How Kimmy tackles self-doubt and fear of failure.
- 15:15 – How to cultivate a positive outlook in the face of adversity.
- 17:55 – Kimmy has developed positive self-talk.
- 18:25 – Kimmy has an amazing meditation practice.
- 23:25 – Why you have to be ready for anything in the backcountry.
- 26:15 – What tactics Kimmy uses to achieve her goals.
- 27:40 – Kimmy is a good athlete for her sponsors.
- 29:25 – Meeting her husband at an ice cream store.
- 32:35 – How Kimmy’s spirituality played a role in her getting pregnant.
- 35:25 – Why they’re waiting to find out if the baby is a boy or girl.
- 36:55 – What is next for Kimmy especially with her kid.
- 39:55 – How to be a ski bum.
- 41:55 – Kimmy’s fitness routines and how she handled a serious injury.
- 46:25 – The best advice she got from her mom.
- 48:45 – You have to take chances and hustle if you want to achieve your goals.
Connect with Kimmy
Episode with Burton CEO Donna Carpenter
Protect Our Winters
B Project Training Facility
The Young and Brave Foundation
Boarding for Breast Cancer
Dessert’d Organic Bakeshop
GoPro movie Chasing Adventure
Husband Chris Benchetler
TransWorld’s video about Kimmy
Awesome books Kimmy recommends gifting
Books by Thich Nhat Hanh
Be Like Water by Joseph Cardillo
Mind Gym by Gary Mack