Here’s the Wild Idea
Liz’s Wild Idea: To pursue a dream of sailing to remote places, and living life aboard her sailboat, Swell. To encourage people to be brave, search inside themselves, and to help protect the environment and places we play.
Liz Clark is an adventurer, surfer, sailboat captain, and now an author, with her first book coming out next year with Patagonia Books.
In 2005, Liz pursued her lifelong dream to live on her sailboat, and set sail from Santa Barbara to French Polynesia. She’s sailed over 20,000 miles since, and along her journey, has learned a lot about herself, life, and the world. She discovered that exploration doesn’t just happen when you travel around the world – it happens within as you challenge and push yourself.
Liz is a good friend, and we had a great time talking. She is so genuine and thoughtful, and I love how open she is in talking about her voyage, her boat, the process of writing a book, and some of the challenges she’s overcome and changes she’s experienced.
Listen to this Episode if
- You sail, surf or want to learn how.
- You love books or want to write one.
- You love traveling.
- You love adventure.
- You are curious about going deeper inside yourself.
- 5:40 – How Liz achieved her dream to sail after college.
- 7:30 – Some of Liz’s favorite book titles that didn’t make the cut.
- 9:35 – What Liz hopes people take away from her upcoming book.
- 12:20 – How to overcome your fears to pursue your wild ideas.
- 14:10 – What challenges Liz had to overcome.
- 17:00 – How Liz knows so much about sailing and the nautical world.
- 21:55 – Liz’s advice for people dealing with pain or fear.
- 25:25 – The importance of taking time to work on yourself.
- 26:30 – The best way to appreciate new cultures.
- 27:45 – What Liz does to help the environment.
- 30:55 – Liz’s encounter with a woman on a beach.
- 33:15 – Who is Tropicat?
- 34:15 – How Liz’s spirituality has changed.
- 36:30 – Why you have to learn to let go, especially out in the elements.
- 37:50 – Why we need to be worried about climate change and come together to fix it.
- 39:55 – Liz’s relationship with Jimmy Buffett.
- 41:35 – How you actually say “Tahiti.”
- 42:00 – Liz’s daily routines.
- 46:35 – Liz’s favorite books.