Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or with RSS, and be sure to leave us a review!
Here’s the Wild Idea
Mark’s Wild Idea: To become a professional photographer taking photos of what he loves.
I enjoy interviewing photographers, especially ones who take photos of things I love, like the outdoors, and activities like surfing and snowboarding. Today’s guest, Mark McInnis, is an accomplished photographer who works with a lot of my favorite brands and publications. A lot of his work takes place along the Pacific Northwest, and he loves shooting pictures of freezing cold climates, empty waves and stunning landscapes.
Mark has a great personality and a positive outlook on life. We talk about how Mark got his start taking photos, how he contacted his favorite photographer to be his mentor (who happens to be a guest of the show), and how he makes a living doing editorial and advertising work around the globe.
Not only does he have a great personal story (I’m going to let you listen to hear it for yourself), but Mark has great advice for those starting out. He shares how he’s made a living as a photographer, and how you can get started today.
Listen to this Episode if
- You love photography or want to be a photographer.
- You’re close to your family.
- You love photos of nature, the outdoors, and empty waves.
- You are trying to not sweat the small stuff.
- 1:40 – How looking for an easy high school class led Mark to photography.
- 2:55 – When Mark knew he wanted to be a professional photographer.
- 3:40 – How he got into surfing, and the day he started taking photos of waves.
- 4:55 – What happened when Mark reached out to photographer Chris Burkard.
- 7:10 – Mark’s favorite things to shoot aren’t necessarily what he’s known for.
- 8:45 – Mark’s tips to get your subject comfortable.
- 9:45 – How Mark got paid for his first photo.
- 10:50 – The balance of doing advertorial versus editorial photography.
- 12:05 – Mark’s favorite places to travel to.
- 13:05 – Why Mark loves cold water and snow.
- 14:00 – What Mark takes on a cold trip.
- 14:55 – The influence of Mark’s father and step-father has had on him.
- 19:15 – Mark’s mom is a badass too.
- 22:00 – What the reality is of being a photographer.
- 23:40 – How he deals with being on the computer all the time.
- 25:05 – What kind of amazing stuff Mark gets to shoot.
- 26:45 – Mark’s advice for photographer wannabe’s.
- 28:20 – One time Mark failed and how he learned from it.
- 30:25 – He’s not crazy about social media.
- 31:50 – Don’t cry over spilled milk.
- 32:55 – What his dream party is like.
- 33:50 – Quit blowing up the spot.